If you use a generator during a power outage, keep in mind the following safety practices:
- DO NOT connect to your home's elecrical panel or plug directly into a wall outlet. The correct way to connect a generator to house wiring is to have a certified electrician install a power transfer switch.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions for operation.
- Never use a portable generator indoors. This includes partially-enclosed areas such as a garage.
- Place the generator away from windows or doors that could allow CO to come indoors.
- Do not overload your generator.