Almost all indoor electric accidents can be prevented if safety is kept in mind.
- Unless you are qualified, get expert help with wiring improvements in your home or office.
- Know where the fuse box or circuit breaker is and how to operate it.
- Make sure your hands and feet are dry when using electric appliances.
- Don't set applicances where they can fall into water.
- Keep a Class "C" extinguisher within easy reach for electrical fires. Periodically check it to make sure it is operating properly.
- Use plactic caps in outlets when not in use.
- Visit the Kids Energy Zone to teach your children about electric safety.
- Make sure plugs and prongs are not loose or worn.
- Check cords for fraying or nicks.
- Make sure cords are placed where they will not be tripped over or receive excessive wear (like under rugs).
- Turn off and repair any appliance that sputters, stalls, sparks or gives the slightest shock.
- Never yank the appliance cord from the electric outlet.
- Don't overload wall outlets with adapters.
- Always unplug an appliance before cleaning it.
- It's always safer to unplug an appliance if you are not using it. (It also saves electircity.)
Home Generators Require CAUTION!!
If you own a home generator, always follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe operations. During a power outage, DO NOT plug a generator into the circuit box as it could cause physical harm to line crews working to restore your power.