DSO Electric Cooperative, Inc. (“DSO”) will award $1,000 scholarships to its members or their dependents pursuing higher education in Kansas in 2022. There will be at least one scholarship awarded for each of the three cooperatives districts, one scholarship for a current college student, and one for a student entering or continuing education at a lineman school. The remaining scholarships will be awarded without regard to the previous criteria and winners may be chosen at the discretion of DSO’s board of directors.
- Available to current high school seniors and all college students who are dependents of active DSO members. The scholarships are also available to active DSO members currently enrolled in college.
- If a member is applying for himself or herself, then such member must be in good standing with the cooperative for at least 12 consecutive months. Good standing is defined as “a member that has paid all bills to the cooperative for which they are legally responsible or liable for the most recent 12 months without having been issued more than two disconnect notices.” This good standing requirement does not apply to dependents of active DSO members.
- The applicant must currently be a student at or be entering an accredited university, college, or vocational school in Kansas.
- Scholarships are for one year. The applicant may apply as often as desired, but may only receive a DSO scholarship once.
- DSO employees, directors, and emplyee and director dependents are not eligible.
- Current high school seniors – must register as a full-time student for the upcoming fall semester.
- Current college students – must have a transcript showing a minimum of 12 hours of course-work completed to-date.
- All receipients must possess a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or 80% on a 100% scale.
- Applications shall be reviewed without regard to race, color, national origin, health, or handicap.
- Applications shall be reviewed by DSO personnel for completeness and submitted to a selection committee made of DSO directors. The committee shall consider each applicant’s essay, academic performance, and contributions to the community in ranking the applications.
- Scholarship funds shall be paid directly to the award winner’s school of choice at the beginning of each semester, with $500.00 being paid for the fall semester and $500.00 for the spring semester. Award winners shall be required to provide proof of enrollment and transcripts.
- The application deadline is February 4, 2022. Applications may be dropped off or mailed to DSO at the address on this letter or they may also be scanned and emailed to Tallie.Pletcher@dsoelectric.com (send pictures separately). Late applications shall not be considered.
- Award winners shall be announced at the DSO Annual Meeting. Normally, the meeting is held every April at the Webster Conference Center north of Salina at 6:00 PM. Scholarship winners are asked to accept their awards in person at the meeting. If the scholarship winner cannot attend, then DSO asks to be notified prior to the meeting and for the award winner to specify a proxy to accept the award on the award-winner’s behalf.
- All applicants shall be notified whether they were an award-winner.
To Be Considered, Applications Must Contain the Following:
- Completed application form.
- Biographical statement.
- Headshot photograph.
- One-page essay on the subject matter listed on the application form.
- Copy of official transcript (in sealed envelope from your school).
- Copy of college acceptance letter (if in high school).